Use the drop-downs to find out more about changes of use and change of use applications.
WHAT IS A CHANGE OF USE?
A change of use is where you change the use class of a site or property from one thing to another.
If the use of a property is changing but there is no change of use class, you do not need to submit an application for a change of use*. For example, if you converted a property from a shop to a restaurant it would remain within use class E and so no change of use would have occurred.
Bear in mind, you may still need to submit a planning application if the conversion requires you to make certain physical changes to the property that require consent, such as the installation of a flue or extraction system.
*Unless the use class is “Sui Generis”. In these circumstances, you must always submit a planning application for a change of use even if the new use is also “Sui Generis”.
Find out more about some of the most common changes of use…
If your change of use is a permitted development right, you do not need to submit a planning application for a change of use. However, you may need to submit a different type of application. You can find out more about change of use permitted development rights using the button below.
change of use
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT USE CLASSES?
The table below provides a description of the different use classes plus some common examples.
HOW CAN PLANNING DIRECT ASSIST WITH MY CHANGE OF USE?
Planning Direct manages and submits around 150 different change of use applications every year.
We can help you from start to finish, including:
- assisting you to identify and select an appropriate site
- preparing your detailed planning application (written statements and planning drawings)
- commissioning any essential reports on your behalf (e.g. noise and odour surveys)
- submitting and managing your application until a decision is reached (this includes dealing with all the admin and responding to any concerns of your local council).
Some of the change of use applications we deal with most frequently are:
- Standard dwellings (C3) to small HMOs (C4)
- Pubs (Sui Generis) to standard dwellings (C3)
- Commercial (E) to hot food takeaways (Sui Generis)
- Commercial (E) to places of worship.
Iy you have a change of use project that you’d like some assistance with, get in touch using the button below. Our initial advice is always free of charge.